May 31, 2017
Tonkin Consulting is a 60-year veteran of technical services in SA with a commitment to the concept of water as a precious resource.
From humble beginnings in 1955 in Skip Tonkin’s garage at Woodville West, the company has grown into a successful, thriving engineering, environmental and spatial consulting business.
Stormwater management was one of the first sectors the young business was involved in, and it now enjoys a reputation for cutting edge technology across a spectrum of engineering services.
Water Utilities Manager Carmen Wentrock says having effective treatment and distribution systems that provide clean water is fundamental for our health and life quality. She says Tonkin delivers this through capabilities which include:
- Integrated Water Management including water reuse
- Stormwater Management
- Water Supply and Treatment
- Wastewater Collection, Treatment and disposal
- Water Sensitive Urban Design
- Water Supply Planning
- Water Resource Planning
- Irrigation Management Plan Development and Implementation
- Water Supply Planning and Design
- Pipeline and Pumping System Modelling and Design
- Off-farm Irrigation System Planning and Design.
The company has more than 30 water professionals providing planning and design services to water utilities across Australia, as well as being a leading service provider to constructors involved in project delivery.
Carmen says there is a commitment to continually adopting new and emerging technologies and techniques which conserve supplies and improve quality.
“Professional and technical expertise is obviously important, but we’re also committed to building relationships, emphasising safety and respecting the environment”, Carmen says.
Examples of innovative projects and services that Tonkin Consulting has successfully delivered include:
- Northern Adelaide Irrigation Scheme Feasibility Study
- Sunlands Irrigation Pipeline Replacement, Waikerie
- Aldinga Stage 2A Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade
- Hallet Cove Wastewater Network Upgrade
- Stormwater Management Plans (including components of the award-winning Brownhill and Keswick Creek Stormwater Management Project)
- Catchment Water Management Plans for the Torrens and Onkaparinga Rivers
- Business Continuity Planning Project for SA Water
- North South Interconnection System Project (Capital Value ~$400M)
- Wimmera Mallee Pipeline Project (Capital Value ~$600M)
- Water Supply Master Plan – Southern Metropolitan Adelaide and Fleurieu Peninsula
- Long Term Plan for Greater Adelaide 2010 (Water and Wastewater) – Stages 1 and 2
- Salt Interception Schemes (including Bookpurnong, Loxton and Murtho)
- Development of the Headworks Optimisation Model – Adelaide (HOMA) for SA Water
- Over 20 Community Wastewater Management Schemes (CWMS) for local government clients
- Water Supply and Wastewater Planning Strategies for SA Water and Local Government
- Delivery of water supply and sewerage infrastructure for remote communities in South Australia and the Northern Territory.