June 18, 2019
According to the latest ABS statistics, there are more than 143,000 small businesses (employing fewer than 20 people) operating in South Australia, or 98% of all businesses in the state. These small businesses employ about 34% of the South Australian workforce - and we know that often as a small business owner, time and resources can be tight, where health and wellbeing may be considered a luxury.
The following resources and webpages highlight how, as a small business, you can thrive with a focus on workplace wellbeing.
- The Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman have put together some quick links to help you know the signs, take action, support and legal responsibly
- Heads Up has a section on its website for small business
- The Victorian Small Business Commission has developed a small business mental health strategic planning tool to assist owners to incorporate a mental health strategy into their business development plans
- Everymind has developed Ahead for Business, a fit-for-purpose response to the mental health and wellbeing needs of small business owners, including a website and a smart phone application
- Small business, big results – a great blog on workplace wellbeing for small business
- SA Health's Healthy workers healthy futures workplace health and wellbeing toolkit includes a small business checklist and tips for small business
- The Fair Work Ombudsman – small business ombudsman has free online courses and a small business showcase.
Examples of key policy templates for workplace wellbeing
- Health and wellbeing policy template (SA Health)
- Mental health and wellbeing policy template (Heads up)
- Smoke-free workplaces - a guide for workplaces in SA (SA Health)
For case studies, see the following websites
It is beneficial to learn from others – what did they do, how did they do it, what were the outcomes. The following links are to case studies of business which have made health and wellbeing a priority in their company.
- SA Health case studies
- Comcare case studies
- Heads up case studies
- Healthier Workplace WA
- WorkCover Queensland case studies
The Wellbeing @ Work video series
View this short video that outlines the business case, the justification, the evidence and the why for workplace wellbeing.
The Workplace Wellbeing information and resources are provided as part of the Water Industry Alliance's Healthy Workplace Awareness in the Water Industry project. This prioject is funded by SA Health in partnership with Business SA and the Water Industry Alliance.