August 9, 2019
Waterfind has released its 2018-19 Australian Water Markets Annual Report, providing a quantitative and qualitative look at the key water markets, events that shaped the 2018-19 season, and future outlook and opportunities for further market improvements.
Waterfind has identified the importance of providing free market information and analysis to assist all water users in making informed decisions, and leads the way as a water market specialist in releasing this annual report.
Key messages from the 2018-19 Australian Water Markets Annual Report:
- 2018-19 season saw the value of surface water entitlements grow significantly and an increase in groundwater trading volumes and prices across many markets.
- 2018-19 season experienced significant reform across water policy and legislation by state and federal governments including
amendments to state water sharing plans, renewal of the National Water Initiative and an national inquiry into the water markets in 2019-20.
- Drought conditions experienced in 2018-19 was a key factor that led to lower storages and allocation levels, new participants entering markets traditionally dominated by farmers.
- 2018-19 saw environmental water holders become the largest water right holders in the Murray-Darling Basin.
- 2019-20 outlook is predicted to have low rainfall, storages and allocations, increasing the importance of effective and efficient functioning water markets.
To find out more, download and read the full report.
For any enquiries on the report, email Waterfind or call 1800 890 285 (free call).